Suburb Profile - Osborne Park

 
(Hit view to change selection)
 


Herdsman Lake

previous next play stop

Osborne Park was named after William Osborne, a butcher who owned an abattoir and land along Wanneroo Road. Many residents of Osborne Park at the turn of the century were Chinese market gardeners who provided vegetables for the metropolitan area. Italian settlers continued the agricultural tradition in the area, utilising the swamp land with soils and fresh water. After the 1950's, housing construction began in the eastern sector of Osborne Park, though most remaining dwellings date from the 1960's and 1970's. Osborne Park gradually transformed into a residential suburb in the post-war years, and the area later began to incorporate industrial uses. By the 1980's, industry had become dominant in most of Osborne Park, with only the north eastern area remaining predominantly residential. Houses are generally single detached brick and tile dwellings, though there are some character houses of timber construction interspersed throughout the area. Numerous unit developments have appeared more recently and are constructed from a range of modern styles and materials.

The Osborne Park industrial area contains numerous showrooms, retail outlets and offices. The most recent addition to the area has been Herdsman Business Park, which houses a range of commercial developments. Within the residential areas of Osborne Park there are a number of small recreational parks. Herdsman Lake also provides a large area of open space which is used by both local and regional residents. The locality contains several privately owned recreational facilities, including gymnasiums and indoor sporting centres. Osborne Primary School is located in the centre of the residential area of the suburb.

 

 
Copyright 2017 © Johnson Property Group